Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

January 5, 2012

Happy New Year!


I hope that everyone is experiencing a happy and healthy New year so far!

During the Fall of 2011 I would frequently say to myself that I was waiting until the beginning of 2012 to officially start the planning/organizing stages for Al's and my thru-hike. As you can imagine I am now in shock that the before mentioned time has finally arrived! On the menu for the near future includes food planning, researching the best options for re-supply, slowly gathering the necessary equipment, and training! A Southbound thru-hike requires tip-top physical shape from the start.

Today I purchased The Appalachian Trail Food Planner, Recipes and Menus for a 2,000-mile hike. I am also interested in learning more about drying fruits/vegetables at home in order to cut costs on purchasing dried food items, which can often be expensive. If you have any suggestions or knowledge on this topic PLEASE feel free to share with us!

Take Care everyone!
Cheers,
Maura

2 comments:

  1. have you checked the dried fruit and nut prices at trader joes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not. I don't have one locally and I didn't see much information about pricing on their website.

    ReplyDelete