Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

March 31, 2012

Barefooted reflections

As I walked barefoot around where it is that I live, I reflected back on the morning:

The surfaces that we humans have created to travel durably upon feel so harsh to my bare feet. When I laterally shift to either side of the life-less surface, I sense an awakening in my feet. To feel the lush, organic surfaces that Mother Nature has created is quite a contrast to the once living components that compose the blacktop and concrete. Even the falling Dogwood petals of Spring time upon the hard blacktop bears a semblance of energy that I can sense when my feet connect with them.

Thinking of the decaying matter that we can expect to exact our footsteps upon on the AT excites me. I mentally note how the human-created surfaces cause a sense of discomfort within me; reminds me of how humans sometimes interact with each other: abrasively. Mother Nature, conversely, requires respect. When we trod upon those surfaces, we must respect them and the vast spiritual interconnected-ness in which they exude to those seeking to understand. In nature, we are at Her mercy, and thus if we show respect we can anticipate to be shown such in return. Not always an intuitive behavior for our species...

Crazy. Such a simple act - walking barefoot - yet such a meaningful, spiritual experience that I look forward to.

Not too much longer; time moves along its predetermined path.

Happy Spring time,
Al

A seemingly happy bush grows upward towards the life source; simple, yet beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment