Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

February 27, 2012

Exciting Updates in AT Preparation!

Good Afternoon! I hope you are enjoying your "Winter", whether it be filled with 55 degree days or the occasional snow storm.  As I returned to Brevard today, after spending some time in Asheville and Boone, it certainly felt as if Spring has already 'SPRUNG'.

This past weekend I celebrated my 23rd birthday! As the AT Experience approaches, I feel very fortunate to be given the opportunity to accomplish one of my life's goals at such a ripe age! I am also very grateful that Al and I have such supportive family members, friends, and mentors to offer encouragement and advice along the way. As a very generous birthday gift I received a NESCO Food Dehydrator and Jerky Maker from my awesome parents!!

On Sunday afternoon Al and I were lucky enough to escape Boone for a few hours and head out to Elk Knob State Park to do some hiking/training.

Elk Knob, veiled in clouds

As a gift from Al I received a Kettlebell for my birthday! If you are not familiar with a Kettlebell, it is a heavy weight that is used for CrossFit style work outs (see picture below). Al's background in Exercise Science led us to hiking Elk Knob not once, but TWICE with two sets of CrossFit style exercises in between. Feeling the burn of metabolic conditioning...FUN, FUN! We sure got some crazy looks from other day-hikers. :)



We also found out this past weekend that our reservations at Katahdin Stream Campground in Baxter State Park, Maine are confirmed for the weekend of June 15-17, 2012. Time is flying by and June will be here before we know it!

Cheers,
Maura

No comments:

Post a Comment