Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

September 27, 2012

A visit to Boone & 425 miles to go!

Wow, what a delicious treat; coming back to Boone that is. Easily within the first half hour of being here, I saw at least 3 people I knew, and within 24 hours I had seen and chatted briefly with many familiar smiles and faces.

Being back here for the few days that I am, I feel quite energized and positive. In addition to the familiar mountains and Fall foliage, the people here in this town have been nothing short of overly hospitable and kind. My friend Matt (read: shout-out!) has graciously offered his place for us to stay and his car for myself and Peg Leg to borrow. Other folks here in the High Country have been very welcoming through txt and email messages - offering me an opportunity to visit and share with them of my adventures on the Trail. I find it highly contributory to my holistic energy to be here, and to share of the privilege I have had thus far in my travels.

As I was sharing with a friend today, for me to not find a way after I'm finished walking to repay and replenish the kind goodness that others have shown to me is for me to deny the opportunity that has been this Appalachian Trail thru hike. One way I've been dreaming of sharing is through a self-published short story book; known as a Zine.

As I sit here and try to reflect on things amazing or crazy I struggle to comprehend what those things mean, aside from the raw nature of what has been. In many ways, this whole experience has been amazing and crazy, so for me to take time after I'm done to compile my thoughts in a logical and sensible manner is definitely a light at the end of the walking tunnel.

Much has transpired since my last post. I last posted (aside from the quick blurb in Damascus a few days ago) from Waynesboro, VA - over 450 miles ago. So, I'll take the remaining space for photos and save the words for that publication to follow in the coming months.

a grassy walk; near Cold Mountain, VA

The Priest! a 3,000 foot climb - Central VA

Where are the mountains at? A famous photo opportunity snapped by many hikers along the AT: McAfee's Knob.

the view towards McAfee's Knob (on the left, beside my foot) - taken from Tinker Cliffs
love those clouds!

super important to hug a dinosaur - in Glasgow, VA

Family visit! With Great Uncle Johnny and Diane Baker - in Buchanan, VA

Wood's Hole Hostel; excellent rest day. Check out their website for more: http://www.woodsholehostel.com/

Neville and Michael harvesting their honey hives - @ the Wood's Hole Hostel

I walked 33 miles to eat this 16 ounce burger, then walked another 4.5 miles to the shelter. The burger lasted about 4 minutes before being devoured by a nameless, hungry hiker

The view outback from the Thomas Knob shelter - near Mount Rogers, VA. These mountains are the ones I used to call home when I lived in Boone. Was loving to view and name them as I remembered their unique shapes.

early morning sun...

...well worth the cold temps for the early morning view.

on our way towards Damascus, VA

a field walk in Tennessee

Well, I'm not sure when I'll next have a chance to post with the final 3 weeks between us and the finish at Springer Mountain in Georgia. I wish you all well in the meantime and look forward to sharing much more when the moments allow.

Cherish the simple things; love often, and remember to smile even when you don't feel like it!

Alan


As of June 14th:
Shower total: 34
Laundry total: 17

Total miles to date: 1759.2
Total miles remaining: 425.0

No comments:

Post a Comment