Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

August 13, 2012

What is Trail Magic?

Greetings friends,

I'm into the great state of Pennsylvania as of 2 days ago, 67.5 miles short of the 1,000 mile mark! Tomorrow, August 14th, will be 2 full calendar months since I started, but today is actually Day 61 for me. If you did the math, that's about an average of 15.3 miles a day (including the 4 rest days I've taken so far). Not too bad. I still feel in good spirits and despite an aching anterior tibialis (muscle in the front of my shin), I've been feeling great physically, as well. So, how is it that a thru hiker can pop along dispatching miles day after day without feeling the grind? Well, let me tell you about a little about a big thing called trail magic.

According to the guide book glossary, trail magic is "acts of kindness or other serendipity befalling thru hikers." In many cases, coolers of cold drinks, or even more essential - water jugs - have been left at road crossings and trailheads by trail angels. These are simple examples of trail magic. Another could be seen in the Knaust family, hosting Kicker and I last week for dinner, shower, laundry, an overnight stay, and of course breakfast the next day.

I first met Tommy Knaust at the REI in Asheville last November. He was working and giving advice about the backpacks I was looking at. When in our conversation Tommy discovered I was going to thru hike this coming summer, he wrote down his parent's address and phone number and told me to give them a call when I was at Culver's Gap, near Branchville, New Jersey. So, Kicker and I are sitting outside Unionville, NY sampling some other fine trial magic at the Murray Cabin (a free place to stay and take a hot, outdoor shower) when I mention that I know the phone number of some folks in the next town, our destination for the following day. I call the number and leave a long, drawn-out message, babbling about how I met Tommy in Asheville and he told me to call. Basically, I was casting a wide, hopeful net, waiting to see if anything would come back. Later that evening, Tommy's brother calls back and says Tommy's coming into town from North Carolina, and that we could most likely stay the night at the Knaust house. Crazy! Such intricate timing...

We hike down into Culver's Gap and find our way to the Knaust house. After a shower, a cold beer, and a game of horseshoes, mother Knaust calls everyone to eat: a fine feast of ham, parsley potatoes, corn on the cob, cucumber salad, and pickled sauerkraut. Not only did they feed us that night, but we also got a hot breakfast the following morning along with a ride to the trailhead. Thank you Knaust family! What could be said about our time in New Jersey had we hadn't experienced this awesome graciousness of trail magic!
smiles for wild and raw honey from the bees of Western NC; thanks Tommy!

as the feast begins; The Knaust house

Pat, Tommy, and Henry Knaust
Trail magic often occurs when a thru hiker is least expecting it. Unusually enough, when it is needed most; as in situations of water. Trail angels in New York, for example, prevented many thru hikers from going thirsty, as the water situation in that state was scarce. These random acts of kindness bestow a sense of gratefulness upon me and others, and can be directly attributed with providing thru hikers the necessary energy to continue the long journey.
just when the water situation was looking poor, pop! - there's some trail magic an angel left; near the Palmerton superfund site, PA

sampling some trail magic goodies; Crockett atop of Mount Greylocke in Massachusetts
These random and sometimes serendipitous acts of kindness build a man's faith in humanity. I wish to thank those that have supported thru hikers in the past - even a simple ride into town, or an offer of information about the local town/area is considered trail magic.

So, to get back to how it is that a thru hiker can hike mile after mile in a day and still go on strong; well, you can thank those that provide magic along the trail for keeping our body and spirits up and going!

Time again has once slipped past me and I must say my goodbyes. The public library here in Palmerton, PA has been nice, but bed calls soon and morning will find me somewhere further south. Should be at the half way point in about a week or so...wooooop!

Lots of love,

Alan

near Palmerton superfund site, PA

As of June 14:
Shower total: 14
Laundry total: 9

Total miles to date: 932.5
Total miles remaining: 1251.7

No comments:

Post a Comment