Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

August 5, 2012

Rest Day in NY, photos, and a bit about AT trail names

Hello from Hopewell Junction, New York! 

Currently, and for the next hour or so, I'm staying with my friend Ron at his humble and ample abode less than a mile from where the AT comes out of the mountains of NY. I got in Friday afternoon and decided to take a day off. Those that have been following the blog since the earlier days may recall me discussing, in short, my WFR (wilderness first responder) course and the contacts I had made during such. Well, Ron is one of the people I met, that after 5 days of working closely with one another, offered his home as a rest/relax stop for me along my journey. I'm super stoked and thankful to have been able to stop here. Shucks, I even got to go climbing at a premier rock climbing destination in the eastern US: the [Shawan]Gunks! (sorry only took 1 photo during this day of "rest"). Many thanks to Ron for his hospitality and friendship!!! 
Ron flaking out the rope before our 1st climb of the day; despite the heat, what a great crag to climb at! 
So, what else has been on the radar? Well, I've been meaning to talk in brief a bit about AT culture. Some folks may be familiar with such, but to many of you, I presume, there is a lot of unknowns and mysteries. First things first: trail names.

You may have seen interesting and/or unique nicknames attached to some of the photos of other hikers along the trail (Kicker, Crockett, Cleetus, etc.). These are called trail names and out here, you only go by that. My trail name is Rocketman, and I introduce myself to people as such. A nickname is usually something that is given; for giving yourself your own name is sort of like grading your own paper. Typically, the nickname is something befitting of the person/character it is naming/describing. You could receive your trail name because of something you did (funny, memorable, erroneous, embarrassing, etc.). A great deal of trail names have to do with people's perceptions of others. Generally speaking, you are broached with a possible nickname and you as the receiver have the ability to accept or decline (some given trail names aren't always nice or PC). 

I was bequeathed with the nickname Rocketman by a guy named Everette back in the 100 Mile Wilderness.  I'm sorry it has taken me so long to come forth and share this bit of information. The group I was hiking with at the time more or less traveled en mass to the next camp/shelter down the trail because we all were still newbs at that point. Because I was generally an early riser with a short patience string for sitting around in the morning and staring starry-eyed into space, I'd be packed-up and out of camp before most everyone else and into the next camp for the day hours before the others. One night as I was bidding good evenin' to the folks around the fire, Everette uttered "see you tomorrow, Rocketman;" and so my nickname was given and accepted. Because of this propensity to not dilly-dally, I felt my given nickname, Rocketman, fit fine.

If you know the lyrics to Elton John's song Rocketman, then you may be able to associate the elements of the character described in the song with my daily hiking routine. I like to think that my work in graduate school with fine mentors like my friend Jeremiah Haas (an on-point go-getter!) helped me develop a sense for time management in the outdoors. Usually, if Jeremiah and I were outside adventuring - whether personally or while leading trips for Outdoor Programs at Appalachian State  - you woke up, packed up your personal gear, and set to breakfast and breaking camp so you could spend more time doing the given sport, and less time wasting good day light. This habit is something I'm thankful for; though, I see no fault in those that choose to take their time in the mornings. To each his own. 

I feel that if this trail wasn't 2,000+ miles long, that I'd take more time in the mornings and treat each day like it was my last. Perhaps that is an introspective thought I need to circulate...hmm. Lately, however, the heat sets in around mid-day so an early start is essential (in my mind). Additionally, your chances for the greatest amount of peace and quiet - and maybe a view of wildlife - are best in the early hours of the morning. 

Okay; onto some photos. Some of these are a few weeks old (ohh geez, I know), but there has not been a whole lot of photo-worthy things to snap lately - a lot of green tunnel hiking going on in CT, NY, and I imagine NJ, too.

fire tower in VT (a few weeks ago)

it looks like a bird! lovely clouds in Southern Massachusetts 

Shay's Rebellion monument; Southern Mass. as well

Crockett trying to up his class and sex-appeal in Great Barrington, Mass.  Thumbs-up from me

yea, who would have thought Southern Massachusetts had mountains :) 

a  straight-up perpendicular boulder that screamed, climb me! in Connecticut somewhere 

the AT dabbles in and out of farm fields as part of the tour; near Falls Village, CT. 

Hydro Power Station at dusk; Falls Village, CT

Northern NY in the morning

Want to go to NYC? Only on Saturdays, but this little station is right smack on the AT. Even had a train pass as I was approaching and it was moving fast! What a thrill 

New York is known for a lot of city-type things, but there does exist a portion of the population that is into other, more unique forms of self-expression; as seen above.  


These last two photos are just for entertainment and nostalgia.

if you know the RV game then you may have a chuckle; Northern Massachusetts 

The clouds and I in the Whites; how I miss those magical mountain tops with views far into the ether realm 
Well, in another day or 2 I'll be into New Jersey, then into Delaware Water Gap (yay Pennsylvania!) by August 11th or so. In the meantime, I hope folks out there are doing well, staying cool, and I look forward to bringing you some more things of beauty and greatness in the near future. 

Cheers, Smiles, and Sunshine, 
Alan 


As of June 14:
Shower total: 11
Laundry total: 8

Total miles to date: 760.9
Total miles remaining: 1423.3

1 comment:

  1. Once your done with August your essentially halfway through. This experience looks even more amazing than I could have ever imagined. Keep up the hard work I have really enjoyed following your trip this far. Be safe Al talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete