Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

July 30, 2012

Massachusetts then Connecticut; NY, NJ & PA here we come!

Greetings from Great Barrington, Massachusetts! The weather today is sunny and that is a reason to smile. Heavy bits of rain have been been falling down upon us in the last few days and a chance to dry our shoes, other gear, and souls is reason for happiness. Another could be the taste and feel of a good cup of coffee. 
fire tower view from Stratton Mountain, VT  - where the idea for the AT was conceived in the 1930s.  

beaver pond

What else to share? Hmm...I enjoy writing of the pleasure that this experience has been, but I feel the desire to share of the challenges, too. I know not what to share exactly in this moment of opportunity. I suppose this is much like other times in life - when we feel inclined to share - only to discover that what we had to say could of been internalized, or unacknowledged altogether.

There exists so much on the forefront of my mind right now that for me to make sense of it and share in a logical sense (with 11:03 minutes remaining, according to the public library timer on my screen), is a tall order. I can say that I continue to appreciate the daily thoughts that people send my way through the spiritual airwaves. Life upon this trail continues to be a privilege and when I take time to reflect in my journal at night, I find nothing but positives to write about. I appreciate this realistic distilling of thoughts in my day into a concentrated outflow of acknowledgement: acknowledgement that I am living a dream. Acceptance that I am taking the time to ebb and flow freely, and that when this experience is said and done, I will have so much to continue appreciating - day in and day out.

Rob Bird @ the Birdcage (Dalton, MA), takes hikers in for free, and does their laudry...thanks Rob!

interesting forest in Massachusetts

love the beauty; at the Cookie Lady's house

new facial haircut...:) 

Till next time and the beauty that comes to mind, body, and soul - keep shining bright.

Love Life,
Alan

As of June 14:
Shower total: 9
Laundry total: 7

Total miles to date: 668.2
Total miles remaining: 1516.0

2 comments:

  1. Al, I think you are showering way too much! ha ha...

    The spiritual airwaves, love that brother. wish the lib. would give you more than a couple min.

    Keep writing, thinking and hiking!

    peaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo yo Luke! Thanks for the comments; ya, showering is a bit excessive...haha. Hard to pass up a chance to remove that skanky hiker smell :)

    Excited to catch up; be well brother Luke!

    ReplyDelete