Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

July 23, 2012

1/4 of the way there & the Birthday Challenge!

Greetings from Manchester, Vermont. As it sits, or stands now, I'm nearly one quarter of a way finished! Manchester is at 538 miles total and the 1/4 mark is at 546 miles, so 8 miles to go. This excites me, yet, babbles me to think about how fast time has moved!

sunset the night precluding the day of challenge, wonderful to look at before laying down to sleep!

Things go well. Vermont has been a different place altogether. The Green Mountains are less steep, more tree-covered (which means little to no view on top), and they may be a sign of easier terrain ahead. In the flavor of pushing forward and moving along, I decided to take on the birthday challenge. The birthday challenge is an idea my good friend Luke Mehall put in my brain when I first lived in Gunnison, CO with him. (read a bit about his thoughts on the birthday challenge here). 

So this year, on Saturday the 21st I turned 28. Hmm, what could I do in iterations of 28 to challenge myself? Well, I easily decided before leaving for this thru hike that I'd do 28 miles on my birthday regardless. As the day of challenge neared, I also decided to add in other "things" of 28, like:

  • 28 things I'm grateful for
  • 28 thoughts about other people
  • 28 thank yous
  • and continual deep breathing to the count of 28 (very meditative - not to mention I was by a stream of flowing water, basking in sunlight and nature's love). 
When it was all said and done, 29.5 miles later, I was glad to be at camp. Not only had I made it in time to "bathe" in the stream, but I also caught up with my friend Davy Crockett! Because of my zero days in Durham with my friend Jacki (thanks Jacki!), I was behind the crew I was with, so it was real nice to catch up with Crockett and his silly antics. 

Take-aways from the birthday challenge? If you are a person who enjoys a challenge, you will be amazed at what is possible when you apply some positive pressure to yourself. For me, pushing the physical limits is one thing I enjoy because the body responds amazingly; however, it is the mental accompaniment, the dialogue, the resistance of your higher mind that you might experience during this challenge that gives us reasons for smiling in the end. I thank Luke for his influence in this matter, and for my loving support in family and friends. 

The idea of birthdays to me continue to shape as a day to not celebrate me, but celebrate those that have helped make me who I am, and push/pull me to where I am in life. So, to all you reading this, that day was for you, and if you didn't get your thank you, it's out swirling around in the air - tune in and smile! haha. 
Shane, also from Appalachian State visiting with me (good to see you Shane!)

Jacki, my lovely and willing host!
Crockett, the biologist, found some Chanterelle mushrooms and sauteed them for dinner on the bday; awesome taste!




Green Mountain House Hostel (even though it isn't green)

what happens to former hostel visitors when they are bad
the hiker kitchen (with more food than we could eat)

oh the distance left

pajama party at the Green Mountain Hostel - the owner thought we were odd  I think - these clothes happened to be in the loaner pile, so we used them while ours laundered. Me, Cleetis, and Crockett

some Vermont forest scene
Till next time, stay classy and enjoy the wonderful bits of summer that we are privileged to live with.

Smiles and high-fives, 
Alan 

As of June 14:
Shower total: 7
Laundry total: 6

Total miles to date: 538
Total miles remaining: 1646

1 comment:

  1. Hi Al - Let me know how the Leave No Trace education is going, and if you're ready for some replacement posters (laminated this time?) - Tom Banks, leavenotrace@appalachiantrail.org

    ReplyDelete