Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

July 6, 2012

Pictures and excerpts from my trail journal...

My time here in the library is tick, tick, ticking away. I'll be brief, but I'll share a bit into the life I've known for the last 3 weeks:

June 13
Will I be able to complete this? I feel already that I am missing people, but so much has yet to happen, and theses unknowns cause a man to feel shy of comfort. Even sitting here writing, pausing to pick some long overdue boogers, feels better to my anxious mind...

June 16
...Struggled a bit before I stopped for lunch. Left at 8 am from the lean-to and felt great until 10:20 or so. Perhaps I'm not stopping enough to smell the roses...too focused on getting o camp.

It can be easy to get in [the] zone so I've found - especially with 40+ lbs. of stuff on your back. The pack feels like a pair of heavy, awkward suspenders...

lake in Monson, ME

June 18
A lot has shifted from my last entry...

I am in slight amazement to slowly see myself shift to be more open with those around me. Also, internally I am becoming more peaceful. It is slow, but I find myself, through the reflective lens, to be accepting of the situation at hand (and foot).

June 20
I am moved to write. Just summited White Cap Mountain. Veiled in clouds and wind, this magnificent being reminds me - just under the level of my consciousness:


Mountains are meant to be visited, not lived upon.


June 25


...Just whipped down my sleeping pad - it got wet in the dousing of rain. Cat Steven's Wild World song is in my head and vibrating out my vocal chords. Kicker and Crockett stand my nonsensical entertainment as they, too, out in their own ways periodically.


Crockett
me, as me

Well, till next time I can post. It may be a few weeks. Know that despite what it may say in my entries above, the experience goes well. It has its challenges and I have nothing but love for the contrasting portrait I experience everyday.

Much love to all,
Alan

2 comments:

  1. Alan, you have alot of inner peace and the opportunity to discover your real self. Take this time to explore and emerge as a new man ready to take on the world. Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shawn. It is good to hear from you and I appreciate your thoughts. Smiles to you and Kate.

    ReplyDelete