Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

July 12, 2012

the White Mountains

ahhh! sitting upon rock and loving life above Crawford Notch

Hello from the Whites! What a beautiful and magical place. Though they are heavily visited (read: Mount Washington, with it's Auto Road and tram way), these mountains are quite spectacular. Who would have thought that the NE harbored such magical and captivating beauty. I find it more difficult to hike fast or far in these mountains when I am afforded such views, as seen above.

Off the trail for part of the day, otherwise known as a nero day (near zero) but will hike some miles this evening before camp. I stayed with my trail friend Davy Crockett's cousins in Plymouth, NH; just south of the trail by about 30 minutes.

Nice to have a hot meal, a shower, laundry, and a chance to update you all on this here blog.

I've got some good stories to share next time I am able to post (most likely next week), when I'll be visiting my friend from graduate school, Jacki, at her new home in Durham, New Hampshire.

Till then, someone please help me to identify this snake that I came across the other day and almost stepped on (yikes!):

Smiles,
Alan

As of June 14:
Shower count: 4
Laundry count: 4

Total miles to date: 373.1
Total miles remaining to date: 1811.1 

1 comment:

  1. It's a Milk Snake. Also, Mt.Washington doesn't have a tram, it's a cog railway:-)

    ReplyDelete