Tales from the Appalachian Trail of service & sustainability, good people, and the bewildering cycle of life!

July 5, 2012

Happy 4th from New Hampshire!

Wow, I finally finished Maine, all 281.8 miles of it. Currently, I am just shy of 300 miles total thus far in Gorham, New Hampshire - where myself and fellow hiker companion Kicker are taking a zero day. Was wonderful news to make it to town yesterday on the 4th, in time for the parade and of course a shower and laundry. I don't seem to mind the smell, as it becomes normal, though a shower felt quite refreshing!

at the ME - NH border!

Kicker coming up another summit (Gooseye Mountain I believe); much like all the other summits beyond him in the background (the furthest in the middle back - Speck mountain - is where we stayed the night previous to this day); Southern Maine is a vertical beauty!
As one could imagine, you have quite a lot of time to think in the woods as you walk down the predetermined path. Often, I find myself saying "of course there is another..." even when the trail guide says its a downhill climb to x or y. Funnily enough, it seems that I find myself chuckling and smiling when I am handed what I was not expecting. I suppose we could make generalizations about life outside of the trail to this effect.

I'm often reminded of the sense of responsibility that I have for my actions out there on the trail. Take for example something easily and readily available to the average American: water. At home, at work, what-have-you, one can simply turn the handle or push a button and water comes rushing into your chosen container. Out on the trail, water often is miles apart and some sources are not always smiled upon when discovered. I have been spoiled by the refreshing springs and mountain streams here in the Northeast, but I, and other hikers, worry about the mid-Atlantic states: NY, PA, etc. that have seasonal springs and projected hot summer temperatures as we look ahead to the month of August.

a contrast in nature, for example
Anyways, segueing back to the responsibility piece. If I forgo the opportunity for water, regardless of its apparent quality, I am the one to deal with the repercussions of my actions. This is a lesson in life that I appreciate. Furthermore, though I mention dependance on myself, I also look to my fellow hikers for things I seemingly am absent of sometimes in my day: contrast. If I have a great morning of walking, but then get the afternoon dumps (oh no, not another big climb, descent, sketchy rock slab, etc.), it is great to take in the contrasted mood of my fellow companions and build-off of that. One can rely on themselves only so far; despite what our Ego thinks initially.



This reminds me of how I prefer small towns: people know one another and they tend to lean slightly on those lateral of themselves; versus the larger cities, where people are a number and not a face. Like such, the trail is a small community and we come to revel in the company of other hikers. This is a comforting thing that brings inner peace to a day that could otherwise be chaotically filled with blaming, begrudging, or otherwise.

Kicker checking his map and topo for a guess on our destination mileage for the day.
 In-line with my other purpose of this experience, Leave No Trace work continues to be passive. I easily pick up between 2 and 10 pieces of small trash in a 15 - 20 mile section.  - most likely accidentally dropped along the way by a hiker. Shelters and campsites are another thing. These areas tend to be junky and littered with small bits of trash. Unfortunately, if more people picked up after others, or amazingly themselves, I wouldn't easily discover so many bits of trash littered at my feet. I could see if the trash was hiding under rocks or camouflaged to blend in with surroundings but it is a simple spot the not thing. Maybe I'm just conditioned to see the things that are contrasting - much like in other parts of hiking life. Reminds me of Where's Waldo - which I used to love as a kid - and thanks to a walk down memory lane when I discovered the same Where's Waldo book at the Hostel here in Gorham. :)

Oh, what a long, winding road we have ahead of ourselves, our society; outdoor people or not. And I don't even consider myself to be a person who does a great job of being Leave No Trace. A little can go a long way and I'll just keep on what I'm doing for benefit of my own saneness and not look to others to follow suite unless they believe, too in what it is we do.

lunch stop: packed out an entire small zip lock of random, insignificant pieces of trash. why can't we all pick up after ourselves? (L as in Leave No Trace)
 Well, this post is getting to be lengthy, as one could imagine, after not having access to a computer for a week plus. I hope to come back to the public library tomorrow and post some excerpts from my trail journal - give the readers a small dose of the ups and downs and wonders along the AT. And, of course I'll post some more pictures, too.


Smiles and miles,
Al

As of June 14:
shower count:3
laundry count:3

No comments:

Post a Comment